Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing a Damp & Humid Basement With Radonseal

Posted by acanthusman (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 11 at 5:30

My basement is ground level in the back, the other 3 sides are completely underground. The house was built in 69, I am going to be putting in a apartment but have damp & humidity problem and am considering Radonseal as a solution prior to renovating. Can anyone speak to its waterproofing claim? I am also curious if this product has an odor to it. I would gladly accept recommendations of other waterproofing products.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing a Damp & Humid Basement With Radonseal

Radonseal is one of a number of silicate penetrating reactive sealers. In theory, it will work better over the long run than a surface sealer.

But how effective is Radonseal's formula vs. competitors? Radonseal's website doesn't point to any independent testing of its formula in relation to ASTM standards. I have seen posts claiming it is inferior to competitors--but again, no references. (It would be interesting to contact some of the institutional customers the Radonseal cites.)

But if all you have is dampness and humidity, that is normal for a basement during summer months. The only effective way to reduce that humidity--which should be less than 50%--is through mechanical dehumidification. There's no magic one-time wall coating that will remove humidity from the air.

As a builder, I have effectively used Permaquik crystalline waterproofing applied from the outside. It can be used on the inside too, but is best done by pros as it requires a pre-wash of the wall with sulphuric acid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Types of Sealers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here