Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should we close up the basement window

Posted by jeni03 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 4, 09 at 2:44

We have window wells and one is filling with water and then draining into our basement. We can not change the grade of our property and have cleaned and rerouted gutters, but it is still filling up. We have had two suggestions.... one get rid of the window, two put in a trench drain. Getting rid of the window would be much more cost effective, would it work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should we close up the basement window

The water will still be filling up the window well and resting against the wall you're putting in place of the window.

I'd concentrate on reducing the water flow to that area or figuring a way to channel it away from the well.

Here's the way a window well should be built:

Photobucket
Source: National Research Council of Canada

o

if we blocked up the window we would get rid of the window well.

o

But will you be rid of the water?

Here's a window well I did on a new home. Before the corrugated was installed and filled with gravel about two 1/2 feet down and the drain to the footings unclogged, this is what you got. With the well complete, the water drains away.

window well flood

BTW, I try and avoid window wells. The above was a project management job and the plans called for six window wells.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here