Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
XPS Taping

Posted by kelpdx (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 1:15

Planning on installing xps on the interior of a basement wall and have read that one lays up the xps and tapes the seams (this applies for floors as well). What kind of tape do you use that will stay adhered and maintain the vapor retardant membrane? Seems to me the tape would have to be pretty good in order to "stick" around for a while.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: XPS Taping

I looked for the orange stuff seen on H@H and could not find it at the local Lowes. So I settled on using a 10 year duct tape (it holds the universe together after all!) that is rated for external use and can be high-pressure washed with water.

I figured if it could handle that it was probably ok for maintaining a decent seal. Of course, the seams were also glued.

o
RE: XPS Taping

Contractor's sheathing tape is what should be used, not duct tape. (Which should never be used on ducts either.) The most popular brand is Tuck, right up front in every HD I've been in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here