Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sands in French Drain

Posted by gang (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 23:39

Hi,

With the recent Hurricane, Irene, dumping a lot of rain in NY/NJ area, my basement is flooded. I do have a french drain with the sump pump. But there aree severl spot inside the french drain where the water comes out strongly with a lot of sands. The sands block the french drain itself and water has no place to go but flooded the basemanet.

What is the problem (I thought the french drain is supposed to handle the blockage)? What can I do?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Gang

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sands in French Drain

There are two types of weeping tile. For at least the last 30 years, flexible plastic tile has been the standard. It comes wrapped in a fabric sock to prevent the infiltration of sand. However, plant roots can still penetrate these and impede water flow.

Before then, clay tiles were used--about one-foot long sections of pipe loosely inserted into each other. Over time, these shifted, were crushed or collapsed becoming useless. I see these all the time when I demolish homes from the 1950s and 1960s.

To check the condition of your weepers and see whether they can be cleaned out successfully, you can have them inspected with a camera.

Here, when I have built on sand, the soils engineer has recommended that I not use any weepers as the sand itself is the best form of drainage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here