Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Storing file cabinets with files in attached garage?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

Storing file cabinets with files in attached garage is my post on the basement forum since I was not sure where to post this and maybe those with basements can help me since we have similar issues I feel.

I live in an attached interior townhouse with an attached one car garage. I made my family room and dining room a home office and over the last 12 years of living here have bought many file cabinets to keep the client papers and my billing files that I must keep for so many years. The big 5 drawer 42" wide Hon Putty file cabinets were bought when I moved in to line up again the wall and to all match to make my office professional.

Now that I am moving everything out of my home office into the garage and an POD in order to paint it and replace the 20 year old carpet with engineered wood floors, I am finding the room so lit up and happy without the huge file cabinets blocking the light from the window. I would like to keep only a few years in my home and a few older years in the garage in some of the big cabinets (older files I have now stored in a climate controlled outside storage facility).

My question is, would the files and papers get musty/moldy being in the garage that is not climate controlled in the Northern NJ area? I wish I only bought 4-drawer file cabinets since there 5-drawer cabinets can not fit up my stairs and I do not want them in my small family room that is open to the kitchen since I deserve a peaceful room when I am not working.

Comments (2)