Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlie5305

basement concerns, buying a home

charlie5305
10 years ago

Im hoping to get some guidance and wisdom on a major purchase im considering making.

Looking at a home built in 1960, and was literally gutted to tbe bones and completely remodeled. its located in a rural area so its on septic and well water. Basement is block walls and a poured floor. For what its worth a 1 year warranty is included.

My concern is the basement and water problems. Currently its dry and partly finished, but this is a SMALL (356sq ft) partial basement, one section being open to the crawlspace. No sign of mold or water damage (its just been "flipped" so I didnt think id see any), and it does have a hardwood floor on the finished section that has no signs of ever being wet.

Now heres where I could use some wisdom and guidance from some hopefully knowledge people:

There is NO sump pit. There are 2 floor drains, but dont know if they drain to the septic, or one of the culverts behind the house. Now after some google searching apparently if there is no sump pit then there is no french drain / weeping tile since there wouldnt be anything to move that water away.
Adding a sump pump seemed like a 50/50 split between doing nothing or actually working IF the gravel under the slab isnt clogged with sediment and the grade is enough to drain the water to a new sump pit.
I do see the typical black tar waterproofing coat on the outside (or the small amount visibke since a deck covers all the windows and walls)

Ive talked to a lot of people and the lack of a sump pit and french drains may or may not be a bad thing. It could mean the ground is graded and drainage isnt an issue nor is a high water table. Or it could be a cheap ass 50 years ago. The fact that its finished makes me want to believe it isnt an issue. If I did move in I would put in a sump pit and pump in for peace of mind.

Heres some pics of the house as well. I will get a home inspection obviously. Id greatly appreciate any input.

This post was edited by charlie5305 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:35

Comments (3)