Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint or concrete stain opinions

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 22:16

I am not sure the best forum to post this...I'll try the Paint and flooring forum to..

We are just about to the point where we will be putting our ceiling tiles in place in our basement. That leaves us with just the flooring. The area L shaped. On one side is our water meter....now in a closet. On the other side is our washer, water heater, softener and sink...behind sliding doors. We have never had a problem but still I fear an eventual water event. Its an L shaped area with a 10 X 10 sitting TV area and the rest occupied by a ping pong table. I have thought of carpeting the tv area and and doing something else in the other area. Then I thought of painting the floor or using that Rustoleum garage floor kit. I fear its a lot of work and may not come out well and will wear off.

Then I saw transparent concrete stain. It says no etching required and you spray it on with a pump sprayer. It sounds easy enough. I could then use a large area rug in the tv are; maybe with a pad underneath.

So, opinions on using concrete stain? Ease of application, wearability, look etc? Any and all comments, icluding brands are welcome. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint or concrete stain opinions

We just purchased a foreclosure where we tore the basement carpet out and stained the concrete. We LOVE the stained concrete floors! They are so easy to live with, clean, etc.

I used Soy Crete - not sure if that is the one you are looking at, but it was very simple to work with. We did not have to etch our concrete; we tested several areas and our floors absorbed the stain without etching. The hardest part was the prep as our floors had nail holes and carpet glue all over. The staining itself was super easy. I used a sponge dipped in the main color of the stain as well as a sprayer with the accent color. Then we sealed the floor with Soy Crete's Acri Soy matte finish.

The only issue I had was that I tested tons of combinations of stain colors in different areas (Soy Crete offers 2oz samples) and the floors still turned out a different color than expected. But the color has grown on us.

I would not go back to carpet ever again. Although I am not a carpet fan to begin with :)

o

I guess the trick is if it will absord...I read a lot of HD and Lowes reviews where is does not absorb and peels...maybe there will be a mistint return I can try at some point...I do not want to etc...

o

Yes, I read the same thing about the "stains" from the big box stores. My understanding is that those are not actually stains; they are more like a semi-transparent paint that sit on top of the concrete. Hence the peeling. That's why I ended up paying to ship the Soy Crete since it had great reviews :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here