Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crawl space renovation ideas

Posted by blacknumber1 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 21:59

My home has a crawl space under about 3/4 of it, working in there is absolute misery. Would it be possible/practical to try and dig it out into an actual basement? The foundation is entirely made of brick and theres many pier blocks in the crawl space that support the house. I would like to get rid of them and put a large beam with screw jack coloums under the house, but first I would need to dig about 50 yards of sand out by hand, no fun!

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crawl space renovation ideas

Around here there are a few contractors that specialize in this type of thing. I think this is definately a big project, in scope and money, and best left to a professional. Just make sure that if you are going to go to that expense, make the new basement walls at least 8' (hopefully 9' or 10') and have it pre-plumbed for a bathroom.

o
RE: Crawl space renovation ideas

Thanks! Unfortunetly my existing cellar room only has 7 foot ceilings, going deeper than that in the crawl space may not be real practical, and the existing foundation walls only go down a few feet, so as the crawl space was dug out something solid would have to be put under them to support the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here