Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Subfloor or not???

Posted by green_n_ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 25, 06 at 21:57

I am having my basement finished, and plan to have carpet installed. Should a subfloor be installed, or should the carpet just be laid on concrete?

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Subfloor or not???

Either way. A subfloor would make the floor warmer, but you can install the carpet directly over the concrete. You just have to weigh the cost to benefit!

o

Man I suggest you get Carpet Padding at least 8lb for that carpet. Unless your joints are those of an 18 year old.

o

A little off topic but, we are finishing our basement as well. I would love to have carpet in there. I am worried about flooding though. In the end I know I will not be happy with anything but carpet.

o

I wouldn't carpet if flooding is an issue. How about an area rug?

o

The last thing you want is thick padding under the carpet in the basement. In the event of flooding the padding will act like a sponge and absorb the water. It will be impossible to dry. Mold and mildew will grow in the padding, and the padding will have to be changed. I had carpeting in the basement of a previous house. I had the choice of gluing the carpet directly to the cement floor or having a special thin padding designed for basement installation under the carpet. I went with the padding. In the event of water damage a wet vac can be used to dry the carpet. The only issue I had with carpet in the basement is that it was a pain to vacuum such a large area. I suggest if you decide on carpeting get something with a litte print. We used a tweed berber.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here