Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing french drain?

Posted by ekoreilly (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 21:40

My wife and I are looking for a new home. found a house which the owner (only been there for <2 years, had the french drain sealed (concrete) and hads this plastic white board that goes up the wall about 2-3 feet and also has that white insulation blanket covering the entire wall. Basement is dry to the touch (and we have had alot of rain) and it even smells/feels very dry.

QUESTION: is it typical to seal the drain when you plan on finishing the basement?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing french drain?

Do you mean sump?

o

I thought the french drain was the cut out of the concrete floor that runs along the perimiter of the basement (it's usually filled in with gravel)? But thats what I am talking about. the sump pumplooks fine.

o

Both definitions apply.

If it feels dry and smells dry even after heavy rain, it probably is dry.

However, I would be very interested as to why the closed cell board is only on the bottom of the walls. If one was building with insulation only part way, it would normally be at the top, which is above grade. (In fact, that is the Code minimum in our area.)

An interior perimeter drain would only be used in our area as a cure for a water problem, not as part of new construction. When I've built anticipating a water problem I've added interior perimeter drains under the concrete as well as taking other measures.

Here is a link that might be useful: French drains defined

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here