Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
primer for a new drywall

Posted by millieon (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 31, 06 at 21:20

Hi,

Do you need two coats of a primer for the new drywall in the basement? My son is doing his also and he bought Behrs which one coat is required according to the instructions.

My drywall is not taped yet but just would like to know which primer would you recommend.

Thanks.
Millie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: primer for a new drywall

Any primer for new drywall will suffice. Keep applying it until the drywall no longer absorbs. More than 2 coats could be necessary. Much cheaper than paint and necessary for assuring a nice final coat. BTW - primer can be tinted to color match the final color too.

o

Thank you for responding much appreciated.

o

When we replaced the paneling with drywall in our bedroom we used Benjamin Moore primer and paint. We did one coat with a tinted primer and one coat of paint. The tinted primer really makes a difference. We previously had replaced the paneling in the boys room. I used white primer. It took two coats of primer to cover the drywall and it took two coats of paint to cover the primer. White is hard to work with. I will be using a tinted primer when the basement is complete.

o

I just spent the last three weeks painting our basement. One coat of primer and two coats of the final color. We used 3 different primers (15 gallon). The best of the three was called 1st Step and came from Lowes. When dried it looked like a final coat. No see thru at all. It also wasn't so thin that it ran down the brush when I edged like the other two - Behr and Benjamin Moore. Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here