Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with red dust please!

Posted by jcannuck (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 21:05

I just finished a 7 month renovation on a 1948 Ranch-style bungalow near Toronto. In the "old" section of the basement, there is a red dust on the concrete floor that when it's wet just thickens and runs like a Prince Edward Island potato field in the rain. You can't sweep it, you can't mop it up, and it gets into everything. I didn't realize how bad it was until we laid our light beige carpet in the finished area of the basement. The area of concern is where we have our furnace, hot water heater, etc.

We are thinking that it is likely iron oxide from a paint or tile used by the previous owners in the 1950s. If I can get some of it off, I'm thinking about covering this area with interlocking plastic floor tiles like one could use in a garage.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of this stuff? Steam cleaning? Some kind of paint stripping agent? Help! My carpet in the guest room is going to be pink if I don't do something soon!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here