Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hammer drill bit question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 21:02

my brother in law loaned me a large hitachi hammer drill to use to secure studs to my concrete floor as I finish my basement...a project that starting it 3rd year!

Anyway the the Bosch bit breaks now and then...either they wear out or maybe I am not drilling straight and snap them. The exact bit he had is a 3/16" Bosch tapcon hex bit with a slotted end - $9. Today I noiced a Bosch bit that looked exactly the same, slotted but no hex. It was and inch shorter and $3 cheaper.

Will this bit work? What is the difference...and don't tel me $3!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hammer drill bit question

So long as it's a masonry bit long enough to go through the wood and far enough into the concrete to hold the concrete screw, it's ok.

Tim operating ramset Pictures, Images and Photos
Ramset "hammershoot" single-shot 22 cal. tool used to secure baseplate into concrete.

A cheap powder-fastening system, such as the $23 Ramset in the pic, is way faster and less messy. BAM! BAM! BAM!

o
RE: hammer drill bit question

thanks...just was not sure why they sold one with the hext on it and one that did not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here