Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
architorture_gw

Lots of Stone- a little water...

architorture
16 years ago

my wife and i bought our first house in january...it is a lovely little story book style house in western PA. as you can see in the picture below the house is on a hill and is elevated from the street with a 7'-5' high wall running along the sidewalk for much of the high side of the street...

the issue i am having is that i would like to finish a room in my basement but i have concerns about future water penetration through the stone (1920's) foundation walls.

currently there is some moisture on the walls that face up hill...which would be on the left hand side of the pic... this also happens to be the corner of the basement that i would like to finish...

i think i can deal with the common place moisture through the standard methods around that corner of the foundation- but the real concern is when a big storm hits (like last week's storms) and my house ends up taking the brunt of the water flowing down the hillside that also fills up behind the street wall in a heavy downpour creating a little bathtub for the durantion of the heavy rain...

even during those storms the worst 'puddle' inside might have been 1 sq ft at most and entirely against the wall...

there is an interior french drain of unknown condition as well- just to note...

so my emergency plan of action after relieving as much water at that rear corner as possible from the outside is to apply a 'platon' dimpled drainage membrane on the floor and up the walls to grade and completely seal it... then come through with studs and whatnot to finish off the space

this is a solution for these once every 5 year storms that leave a little water at the base of the wall...

i know there are solutions like dry lok or other brush on substances but i simply don't trush doing that and then closing it behind a wall... i think a continous membrane gives greater piece of mind

i was just hoping to hear some feed back...i have read most of the first 15 pages on here and found some helpful information but i haven't seen much on the use of a membrane or roll product as a moisture barrier so much as the brush on solutions...

Here is a link that might be useful: house

Comment (1)