Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sheetrock alternatives for basement partition walls?

Posted by diybmore (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 19:19

hi,
we are partially refinishing our basement bit by bit as time and budget allows. what we're after is a clean, safe space for the kids to play in, not a finished look. so far, we've taken down the old drop ceiling, wall panelling and carpeting and have spot waterproofed the walls, installed new lighting, started to dry-lok the cement block walls and stained the concrete floor. soon we will paint the exposed ceiling (white).

my question is about the partition walls. there are 2 around the furnace room, and one long one that was originally an exterior wall before this basement addition was built. both are framed with wood which originally held up the panelling. you can see them on the right and left sides of the photo below.

we're reluctant to put up drywall since a) it seems tricky for inexperienced DIYers (we've never done it and don't own a truck for transport, b) the basement is below grade and the house is situated near a stream so we can't rule out a major storm bringing water in at some point; and c) the rest of the room will be painted concrete and a painted exposed ceiling so drywall could look out of place.

would corrugated metal roofing panels work? or shelving with some kind of backing? these options seem like the right "industrial" kind of look but we haven't heard of anyone doing this so perhaps there's a reason not to! any advice is much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sheetrock alternatives for basement partition walls?

So I have no clue about a good answer except that I was just googling for some similar iadeas and came across this product:
http://www.wahoowalls.com/

I have no idea if it's good or not, or if maybe someone here has experience with it??

o

I'm looking for similar ideas for our basement, but we don't have any framing at this point. I think marine-grade plywood might look pretty cool on your partition walls. Depending on your vehicle, you might be able to get a half-sheet in there. Otherwise, I think galvanized metal would also be fun.

o

"I think marine-grade plywood..."

Wait till you see the price.

Their are also fire code issues with thin plywood on bare studs.

Drywall is still usually about the cheapest safe thing.

o

Another vote for drywall. It's the cheapest option by far, even if you figure in delivery issues and risk of damage. Hanging it is easy, even for DIY. You can do it with minimal tools, hiding errors is possible w/ mud, and it's far less work than cutting plywood or sheet metal.

Finishing drywall nicely is harder, but you have many options there depending on how much you want to spend time/money wise, and the level of imperfection you're willing to live with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here