Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AC and Dehumidifier?

Posted by s_carroll (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 18:56

Hey all-

So we have been having issues with moisture in our basement. We live in a Baltimore row-home and the moisture caused a bit of mold on two cloth items and a bit on some cardboard. So no huge problems yet.

I recently bought a dehumidifier and it's been running in the basement. Additionally, there is one AC vent in the basement and I was considering adding a second vent into the ducting.

The theoretical question is whether it will be more efficient (read cheaper) to have the AC work a little harder by having a second duct in the basement in addition to the dehumidifier OR to just let the dehumidifier work by itself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AC and Dehumidifier?

A/C is an expensive and unsatisfactory way to remove humidity throughout your home, especially in the "shoulder" seasons where you would not be normally using it. See page 6 of the linked Building America article below.

I have always used stand-alone dehumidifiers in the basement to maintain healthy RH levels. Indeed, in the summer, I shut off and seal the a/c vents to the basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conditioning Air in the Humid South

o
RE: AC and Dehumidifier?

If the basement is really to be conditioned, it must have both supply and return vents to the AC system. My basement has two dehumidifiers, controlled by separate wall-mounted humidistats and no AC system vents. My temperature ranges in the basement are low of 58 in the Winter and high of 78 in the Summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here