Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wjansen_gw

Basement Perimeter Framing

wjansen
13 years ago

Hi Guys,

I'm at the point in my basement remodel where I'm starting the framing (after nighmarish floor levelling!). My question is what is appropriate for a walk-out basement - let me explain further.

3 out of the 4 sides of my basement are half concrete foundation walls on the bottom half and wood stud framing on top (common for walk-out), but the walk-out wall that has the sliding glass door is completely wood stud framed from ceiling to floor (load-bearing wall with no above-ground foundation) with brick exterior on other side of studs and insulation.

For the half concrete foundating/half framed wall, I plan to simply build stud walls in front of the current foundation wall with a 1/2" gap (as seems to be common). However, for the fully framed current wall, what should i do?

It seems like a serious waste of space to build a new stud wall in front of this wall (losing 4.5" from the wall), but I also feel like I can't just drywall this as-is either (or could I?). I was thinking of maybe adding 1" or 2" of furring strips to the existing studs, put in a higher R-value insulation (thicker, like would go between 2x6s) and drywall over the furring strips (after electrical, etc.).

What do people do in a situaiton like this?! Is there any reason to add another studwall?

Thanks for any advice...

Comment (1)