Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earthquake

Posted by bus_driver (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 17:49

My house is about 250 miles from the Virginia earthquake epicenter. Based on well driller's experience in this area, solid granite is about 60 feet below the surface here. I have Superior Walls foundation/basement with units 10' high. The house is two story. I was upstairs when the quake struck. Some items rattled and everything on a table or desk shook visibly. I assume that the upstairs moved more than the downstairs. About half of my basement is daylight with site-laid brick face on the Superior Walls. I have found no cracks in the brick work. Based on the accounts of two neighbors who have concrete block foundations, their houses must have shaken comparably to mine. I had wondered how Superior Walls would react and fare in an earthquake. Since I was only at one place, my conclusions are not perfect. But it looks as if the SW works OK with these tremors. The bolts initially installed to hold the wall units together are not the forces holding the walls after construction is PROPERLY completed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earthquake

Bump, so it will start moving off the list.

o
RE: Earthquake

I have a number of calls from customers with damage to joints between masonry chimneys and wood frame houses.

I have examined most of them already, and they are not that serious.

No masonry cracks, just flashing pulled away, one large enough you can easily see light through the gap (counter flashing bent up over 45 degrees).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here