Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maconway2502_gw

Basement leak

maconway2502
9 years ago

I have water leaking into my basement. Here's the story, when I first moved in there was a concrete walkway along the side of my foundation. It was In pretty bad shape. There was also a small trench about 2in deep and 4in wide. It looked very ugly. I decided to have the old concrete replaced and filled in the trench with top soil. Problem was the concrete and lawn were sloped toward each other forming a v shape for the water to gather. So when it rained hard the basement would leak water as if came under the concrete walkway and down the foundation. Obviously this was because I filled it the drain trench that was previously there. So I decided to dig the trench again and no water leaking. The water gathers in the trench and flows down and out. So now I have an ugly dirt trench. I want to fill with stone but also want to make sure this trench will not sink. It is 2in deep and the concrete next to it is 4in deep. My concern is that if it sinks to below the concrete, the water will rush under it again and into the foundation wall. I hand tamped the dirt and am going to put in stone but not sure what kind to use? Also should I use fabric and pea gravel? As I stated it is only 2 in deep to channel the water down hill.

Comment (1)