Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how did you do your stairs

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 26, 09 at 16:56

we are finishing our basement...nothing fancy. We are considering leaving the underside of our stairway open. I painted the bottom of the steps and drywalled the back wall. Its a nice spot for the treadmill. I am now considering drywalling the bottom of the stairs. Going down the stairs is a single rail secured to the wall at the top of the stairs and to a 2X4 thats tied into the bottom of the stairway and the joist above. How have other folks made this look better or even safer..I can just see the kids hoping thru the side instead of going all the way down the stairs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how did you do your stairs

I can just see the kids hoping thru the side instead of going all the way down the stairs.

So what? Let them.

o

at some point an nspector will say something plus it could be dangerous. Surely someone has done something...

o

could you post a picture.

from what I understand from your description is that you just want some balusters. it would look nice and keep kids from jumping. we had an open stair case at my house and i used to jump through it everyday lol.

o

we have a basement stairway that is drywalled on both sides. It actually gives a feel of going down into a cave. so, you may want to keep the openness. But, I'm sure you can do better than a 2x4 for the attachment. maybe a pole that's 6 x 6 around in a box? for safety, you may find lighting to be more helpful. These days, I worry more about the old folks than the kids :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here