Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moisture Barrier to Brick wall help

Posted by nagstakupdx (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 16:48

Hi, a friend is having me install a moisture barrier in his crawl space that has a brick perimeter. Looking on the internet it looked like I should just use industrial adhesive to glue the vapor barrier to the brick wall. Well, I did a section yesterday and now that its dry today i see that polyurethane adhesive wont bond to polyethylene plastic. Also, it did an ok job of binding to the brick, but i am able to grab a corner and peel the whole dried strip of glue off the wall because the glue just pulls the surface of the brick its stuck to off with it.

so what is the best solution? I have friend who says i should try to mount a wood base board to the brick wall and attach the barrier to that, but I'm not looking forward to that. Also, the tarp still won't stick to the glue.

thanks in advance, and i can supply pics if needed but i think its straight forward enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moisture Barrier to Brick wall help

Anchor some pressure treated 1x lumber to the wall with tapcons.
Fasten the plastic to that.
The small perimeter will not allow very much penetration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here