Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to cover floor drain

Posted by dzd9fy (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 16:47

We are at the end of a basement remodel on a 1950's ranch have a floor drain that I need some help on how to address.

There is a rough 4 1/2" hole in the basement floor [4" concrete slab] over a clay tile that is T-shaped and runs horizontally. The tile has water sitting in it, approximately 8" below the top of the floor. In the 10 years in the the water level has seeminly remained at the same level be it spring, summer, fall, winter. There is a slight amount of moisture where the clay tile T butts the bottom of the conrete but not a dripping condition.

How is the best way to "plug this hole in the floor"? We are planning to install carpet so I do not want a floor drain visible, but I want to be mindful of the need if there basement ever flooded I could use this drain to deal with water. I am talking if a water pipe busrt or such.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to cover floor drain

I should have mentioned that this is not a mechinical room and the basement has a sump pump in the utility room that I am guessing this drain man connect to, but if so there is a slight problem with the slope!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here