Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do I finish wall by stairway

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 16:05

When you go down the stairs to our basement, 1/2 the wall (above grade) that abuts the staircase is already finished and drywalled. The lower half (below grade) is poured concrete. So imagine running your hand along the poured concrete portion upward...eventually you hit a 'bump' where the drywall starts. How do I finsh this portion of the wall? It looks as if I glued a piece of drywall to the poured concrete it would then align/blend with the drywall already there further up. Drywalling to poured concrete would be a no no though; I'd think. (It is an outside wall under the garage...no moisture issues that I can see but still...)

What should I do? Should I use that mold resistant drywall?

Other ideas....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do I finish wall by stairway

Mine was against the garage but not where the foundation is exposed to the elements. Put a long level against the wall and set it plumb. Carefully check along the width for the gap against the concrete to see what thickness you must fill.

On ours, I ended up chiseling away several concrete knubs left by the forms, cutting and anchoring some plywood (1/4" as I recall), and gluing drywall to the plywood. I'm sure I had to shim the plywood in places too. Can't recall if I then used 1/2" or 5/8" drywall but the finished result blends perfectly.

Another option would be to set drywall proud against the concrete and cap with a nice piece of wood.

Hope this helps.

o

can you elaborate on: Another option would be to set drywall proud against the concrete and cap with a nice piece of wood.

Thanks.

o

If you are unable to create a smooth wall by attaching new drywall to the concrete, then intentionally set it away from the concrete and bridge the space with a wooden shelf. This is often done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here