Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Humidity question

Posted by dgmarie (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 15:22

Just for the heck of it I took the hygrometer to the basement last night. We have a 3,000 fully finished (wall to wall carpeted) basement. 10 yr old house. No air was on in the house (it was cool outside) and it was a wet evening with sporadic rain. External humidity was 85-95% based on our electronic weather gauge (hubby's hobby).

The RH in the middle of the basement was between 55 and 61% based on a number of readings over several hours (it went up and down).

Is this too high? It didn't feel bad down there. Carpet doesn't smell. It was reading 50% on the first floor at the same time.

Wondering if a dehumidifier is necessary for just maintenance reasons and if so would it be ok to put it in the furnance room in the basement (with the door open) since that is where the drain from the sump pit is at).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Humidity question

Most writers on the topic put 50% as the high mark. I prefer 40%-45% to be on the safe side.

Carpet doesn't smell

With respect, you may have gotten used to an odour that others pick up immediately. I often go into homes and stores and am knocked over by the aroma of mildew and mould that apparently isn't even perceived by the usual occupants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here