Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clawfoot tub decision...

Posted by littlealexa (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 07 at 15:18

I live in a 90+ year old house. It has 1 full bath on the 2nd floor and a tiny powder room aka water closet (used to be a pantry) on the first floor. We are fixing up our basement for a family room/bar area and we will be doing a bath with a stand up shower since baby no. 2 will be here soon. I was commenting to a friend and she stated that my house would look fabulous with a claw foot tub, as much as I love it, I couldn't afford it was my response. She told me she would give me her cast iron tub which needs to be reglazed (knows of a guy who reglazes). So its free as long as I pick it up, its gold colored but she said that can get changed. My question is, will a basement floor be able to support the weight of a clawfoot tub with water and people? Our basement floor is concrete and the foundation is made of stone. Our thought was to do a basketweave or hex tile for the shower, but the thought of having a clawfoot in my house is alluring (even if its in the basement). What do you think, will the floors hold? Do they need to be re-enforced.I will also put this in the bathrooms forum to see their responses. Thanks much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clawfoot tub decision...

A concrete slab will hold a clawfoot tub.

o
RE: Clawfoot tub decision...

Thanks sue, I'm quite excited I purchased a clawfoot over the weekend. My friend's needed reglazing, this one doesn't. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here