Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlealexa

Clawfoot tub decision...

littlealexa
16 years ago

I live in a 90+ year old house. It has 1 full bath on the 2nd floor and a tiny powder room aka water closet (used to be a pantry) on the first floor. We are fixing up our basement for a family room/bar area and we will be doing a bath with a stand up shower since baby no. 2 will be here soon. I was commenting to a friend and she stated that my house would look fabulous with a claw foot tub, as much as I love it, I couldn't afford it was my response. She told me she would give me her cast iron tub which needs to be reglazed (knows of a guy who reglazes). So its free as long as I pick it up, its gold colored but she said that can get changed. My question is, will a basement floor be able to support the weight of a clawfoot tub with water and people? Our basement floor is concrete and the foundation is made of stone. Our thought was to do a basketweave or hex tile for the shower, but the thought of having a clawfoot in my house is alluring (even if its in the basement). What do you think, will the floors hold? Do they need to be re-enforced.I will also put this in the bathrooms forum to see their responses. Thanks much appreciated.

Comments (2)