Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removed Tile from Basement floor, can I use EpoxyFloor Paint

Posted by mr.skippers (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 14:55

Hello Everyone,

I recently removed some very old tile from my concrete basement floor and I would like to put an epoxy paint where the tile had been.

It looks like there is still some black mastic glue on the surface of the concrete, and I am not sure if i can apply the epoxy seal with it there. The glue no longer has any stick to it whatsoever.

Can someone please steer me in the right direction? Can i just put a bonding primer on it before applying the epoxy or do i need to remove the glue? If i need to remove the glue substance, what should i use??

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removed Tile from Basement floor, can I use EpoxyFloor Paint

If removing the mastic be aware that it may contain asbestos and should be handled accordingly. (See link.) Too late to help you with the tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asbestos floor tile removal

o
RE: Removed Tile from Basement floor, can I use EpoxyFloor Paint

+1

If the tiles are 9" by 9", the are likely ACM (Asbestos Containing Materials).

The tiles themselves are not the real issue because they are not very friable. The Mastic is the issue and caution should be taken when removing that as the previous poster mentioned.

As a general rule, if the mastic is black, get it tested at a minimum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here