Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

Steps Coming from Basement - Can I Put A Door of Some Type? PIC

eldemila
14 years ago

We have an offer on this house that has a finished basement. There are 12 steps leading up to the main landing of the home in to the den. I would like to know if anyone has any idea of how to put a door here to close it off, or if it's even possible. The only thing I can think of would to be extending out the wall on the right side of the pic, but I think that would look stupid. I don't think putting a door at the bottom of the steps would be easy or look right either. I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to close that area off at the top.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

{{gwi:1384936}}

{{gwi:1384937}}

Comments (3)

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

It appears from the photos that the basement was designed as "open" to the house. Do you need to protect young children, contain pets or just don't like the look.

If you were to install a door, it would be an incumbrance to using the finished basement. Yes, one could be installed. If the steps are 36" wide you could frame for a 32" door - either at the head or bottom of the stairs. At the head of the stairs you would have to extend the wall as you suggest and drop a wall from the ceiling.

Unless there is a purpose, consider carpeting the stairs and making the basement part of the den. Just my thoughts without seeing the rest of the home. Good luck.

• eldemila
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's not so much that I don't like the look, but the room at the top of the stairs is a family room and they finished the room in the basement, so to me, it's another family room. Other than the laundry room being down there, we'd probably rarely go down there. It's just the two of us, no kids. House is bigger than we need but if we get it at the price we offered....

I thought we could conserve heating/cooling the bottom of the house by closing a door at the top of the stairs. Extending the right side of the wall just don't look right. Maybe what you suggested at the bottom may be more of an idea to think about. If we get the house, will have to measure steps and see where we can go from here.

Thanks for your input!

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Good luck, I hope you get the house.

I just want to recommend that you NOT close-off the basement for the purpose of not having to heat or cool the space. If you read other posts, humidity in the basement can be a big problem.

Air needs to be circulated. Actually, circulating cool basement air will help cool the rest of your home and heating a basement is not going to take much energy because the space is below grade and will never get really cold. But, heat rises and cold settles causing moisture (humidity) to be higher in cool places and can cause mold. Since the basement is finished, hopefully there are already supply and return vents.

Hope this makes sense.