Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
s_carroll_gw

Basement ventilation thoughts

s_carroll
12 years ago

Hey all

We just had our basement framed and drywall. Prior to the install, we had issues with humidity but a dehumidifier has cleared up the issue. We had moisture vapor coming in through the exterior walls.

Now that the walls are framed, we had/have concerns about humidity building up between the brick foundation and the new walls. That being said, there is a large (about 2'x4') opening to access our electrical panel that we've left open to allow air flow behind the wall. Additionally, the gap behind the wall is almost a foot deep because of working around plumbing. Also, no vapor barrier was installed because of how large the gap is and because I didn't want moisture being bottled up between the plastic sheeting and the brick, which I reasoned would just rot out all the 2x4 framing.

I've been checking the humidity behind the walls, as far as I can reach my arm back there and the humidity has been maintained below 60%.

So here's my questions/thoughts. I plan on leaving the access opening open to allow air flow but will install a set of louvers to 'hide' the ugly brick etc. In addition to that one airflow point, should I consider installing other vents in the ceiling or other walls to suck even more air from behind the drywall? Go crazy with fans to literally suck the air out?

Thoughts are very welcome!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator