Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alldaylaundry

Mold on Laminate Flooring in Basement

alldaylaundry
15 years ago

We moved into an older home about a month and a half ago. Half of the basement is finished and has laminate flooring, which wouldn't have been our choice of flooring but we planned on leaving it since we'll probably only own the house for about three years. Yesterday I was cleaning down there and moved the couch to clean under it. It is a large sectional and I was horrified to see mold spots on the surface of the laminate flooring everywhere the couch had covered.

I immediately sprayed the floor with Clorox hard surface disinfectant, then washed with soapy water that had bleach in it, rinsed with clean hot water, sprayed the Clorox again, then hand dried the floor. Then I went out and bought a dehumidifier and it has been running ever since, and filling up quickly.

What do you think is the problem here? Since the mold was on the surface on the laminate only, not on the couch or the baseboard, we're afraid that there's moisture under the floor. Has anyone had this happen and what should we do from here?

Comments (3)