Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how can I correct this!

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 13:24

I put 1.5" slotted XPS up in my basement held in place with fur strips in the slots. The XPS runs to the floor. I cut the fur strip 2" from the floor and spray foamed the little gap. I guess I was thinking of a flood but 2" would be some sort flood...I over did it! Ok, stop laughing...In some areas I framed in front of the XPS then put up dry wall, hanging it 2" off the ground. Some areas (closets and in my storage room), I chose not to frame but rather to simply affix the drywall to the fur strips directly over the XPS. I again cut the drywall 2" off the ground. BIG MISTAKE? Well now I go out to buy an inexpensive handi pak consisiting bundle of 12 long by 3.25" high pieces of baseboard (VERY inexpensive at .40 a foot) at Lowes or HD and it dawns on mewhat do I affix the baseboard too? The only nailing opportunities are every 2 feet but 2" up the wall! I essentially will need to nail my 3" molding from the top, that is if I want to hit a furstrip. YIKES! Typical homeowner mistake I guess.well maybe just a typical morons mistake!

So any suggestions on what I can do. Id prefer NOT to have to buy 5" or 6" high baseboard. I could fill the gap between the drywall and floor with " xps. While that still gives me nothing to nail to, at least the baseboard would sit flush against the wall. I could hammer drill in a 1 X 2 peice of treated wood bu hate to have that so close to the floor...Ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how can I correct this!

I could hammer drill in a 1 X 2 peice of treated wood bu hate to have that so close to the floor

That's your answer. Unless you're planning to slosh around your basement floor a couple of months a year.

o
RE: how can I correct this!

Thanks worthy..not sure what you mean by slosh around...jhopefullt we never get water. In my storage room I my try to just nail the baseboard in place thru the upper inch of the basebpard and back it with 1/2" xps. No will be bumping it in there so it should not move about. The living area is another story. Live and learn I guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here