Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint for storage room in basement

Posted by dockside (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 12:24

We are getting our house ready to sell. It is 10 years old. The walk-out basement is finished except for a 12x24 storage room. The walls are sheetrocked but nothing on the floor. We want to make it look better (some white stuff on the floor, stains where my freezer dripped when being defrosted, a few hairline cracks, and a stain from a water leak years ago, the source of which has been fixed).

What do you suggest we use for cleaning/prep and paint? No drain in floor, no windows so don't want a bad-smelling, toxic application.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint for storage room in basement

I'd vacuum the floor. The just use any ordinary household general purpose cleaner or laundry detergent. Depending on the condition, you might want a little action with a scrub brush. Rinse it well a couple of times and allow to thoroughly dry. Any home center or paint store will sell flooring paint. Just follow the instructions on the can.

o

be carefull...if you get a lot of moisture thru the concrete it may cause you paint to peel leaving you with an even bigger mess to explain. I would just leave it go. Foundations crack. Freezers can leak. Its all understandable. If anything, put an area rug in place. If the crack is REALLY big it likley should be listed anyway. Your realtor should be able to help with this.

o

I second Mike's idea. We did that in our basement, just as he described, and it's held up well. We just used some sort of latex floor paint, avoiding the more durable epoxy stuff.

Alternatively, if it's smooth enough, clean the floor and just put down some self-stick vinyl. Lots of contemporary stuff to choose from. One of my clients did that in the dark, dingy unfinished laundry/utility HVAC half of their basement. It looked great and held up very well (for the two years that I was able to witness before they sold, anyhow.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here