Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Premium lighting for basement with 10' knockdown

Posted by hammick (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 12:09

Just had the basement framing finished in 2000 square foot basement with ceilings that are about 9' 9" (go figure) and will be sheetrock with knockdown (just like upstairs). Basement is a walkout with Pella sliders (both on living area and bedroom area) and various windows on the walkout side. No windows exist on the earth side of the basement not do I plan to put any in.

We will be spending the money to make this a very nice basement. I have 6" cans throught the upstairs (reverse 1/12 less that a year old) and they are fine but I am looking for something nicer than the regular cans for the basement.

I like the look of the smaller lights (halogens?) but can't find a lot of information on how they perform compared to 6" cans. Any recommendations?

The lights need to rated to be up against insulation as I intend to put in sound minimizing insulation. Dimming is also a must. Probably will have at least six to eight different switched areas. We will have a big bar area, living area, pool table, shuffleboard and several flat screens on the walls throughout. Walls will be painted sheetrock on top and possibly beadboard trim on the bottom.

I am not adamant about using the same lights everywhere if it would be better to have some areas with certain types of lighting.

Probably will put the regular Halo 6" cans in the bedroom and bathroom and looking for nicer options everywhere else.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Premium lighting for basement with 10' knockdown

I fall in the group that lighting tends to make or break a basement. I think the 6" cans will be fine in most areas for general lighting. But in addition, you should include some non-overhead lighting in your layout. Overhead lights tend to be pretty sterile feeling. I like sconces in a basement rec rooms, maybe some switched outlets for lamp lighting. I would add a decorative light above the mirror in the bathroom (not the std. bar of lights).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here