Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Radon concerns

Posted by colorlady (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 12:05

We bought our house 4 years ago. The inspection yielded an elevated radon reading in the basement. Since we had given the seller their asking price for the house, we requested they address the radon problem before we passed papers. The owner got a quote for radon mitigation for $1000 and gave us a check to cover that. We got lazy and never actually had the mitigation system put in because there were so many other things that needed fixing in the house. The couple we bought from had just disolved their marriage, but the husband had come down with Multiple Sclerosis while living here. Last week, a man drove in our driveway and told us he had once owned our house and had sold it to the people we bought it from. We asked him if he would like to come in and see all we had done. He said he couldn't because he has MS and needs a walker. After he left I googled MS and RADON. I found that at least one study has linked RADON and MS. I just wanted to pass this story along to anyone who may be wondering if they should be concerned about Radon. It could be a coincedence. It may have nothing to do with RADON. But we are scheduling our mitigation now 4 years later and crossing our fingers.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Radon concerns

Keeping fingers crossed for you, too - hoping that the previous owners' health problems are indeed coincidental. But glad you are doing the radon mitigation - there is very solid evidence linking Radon to lung cancer, so definitely worth the installation of the mitigation system.

RE: Radon concerns

"I found that at least one study has linked RADON and MS."

Pure Bovine Scatology.

MS is an autoimmune disease and the most likely cause appears to me mimicry of some portion of the myelin protein (the insulation on the nerves in the central nervous system) by the protein coat on a virus.

Epstein Barr is a leading candidate (and about 95% of adults have Epstein Barr).

I have MS, and it is not related to radiation.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here