Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plywood on walls?

Posted by betaiota (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 11:39

In my basement I have rough-framed a 16' wide u-shaped bar. My plan is to finish the walls and ceiling with all wood wainscote and panels. Not the 70's type paneling, but real stained oak panels. My question is, can I first cover the studs with 1/2 inch plywood before putting up the panels? This would make things a lot easier during the finishing. Or, do I need to hang drywall for code and fire reasons? It will be inspected and I don't want any surprises! Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plywood on walls?

betaiota,
sounds like a good idea, but I was thinking, wouldn't drywall be cheaper?

-jasper

o

I meant using drywall for the underlayment.

o

Yeah, but when I'm installing the panels I don't want to worry about hitting studs. I'm just not sure if there is a code issue here. My city goes by the standard BOCA codes with a few exceptions, none of which deal with this specific issue.

o

OK, I understand.
Sorry, I don't know about the code requirement.

o

Yeah, and that's the thing, there may or may not BE a code requirement. I guess if noone can cite a specific code then I should be OK!

o

Ask your AHJ what they will allow.
Thin plywood (like thwe 1/8 inch 'wood' panneling requires a gypsum backer.
Thicker plywood is usually OK, but localities can ammend/modify the codes as they see fit. They may require 3/4 inch plywood and that would get pricey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here