Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crawl Space ?'s

Posted by kathyg_in_mi (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 11:29

Sorry, long. I thought basement forum the place to post.
DD and SIL bought a cottage in Door County, WI (Door County is on granite, any digging is done by blasting). Crawl space is very damp, at times has water in there. Some mold on floor joists. Sellers gave $ for fix. The plan was to lay cement down there. In crawl there are water heater, humidifier and will install sump pump.
Cement guy said that there were no weep holes in the foundation. He can't dig to put them in, but he laid cement and put drain tiles under cement. Sump is being installed this week.
Now my questions. Has anyone any input on this? Also, realtor (who DH and I think is wrong) says NO ONE in Door County opens the vents that are in the foundation. Now we live in a home with a crawl and every spring my DH gets under there and opens our vents, closes them in the fall. Any input on this? All comments welcome.
Thanks, Kathy G in MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crawl Space ?'s

Building Science Corp. has a lot of info about how to handle crawlsace's properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Science Corp.

o

Heating climate,

Sump to daylight.

Sealed vapor barrier ground cover.

Cement floor is optional.

no insulation in floor system, other than the rim joist.

Rigid insulation in rim joist area.

No fibrous insulation anyhere!

Insulated sidewalls, and sealed vapor barrier.

Close off any existing vents and seal with rigid foam (2" min.)

Hook up exhaust port to heat exchangers, if one is available.

If there is no heat exchanger, then install a central exhaust system, cabable of exhausting 20-30 cfm continuous 24/7/365.

Condition crawlspace with heat in the winter and cooling/dehumidification in the summer.

Problems solved.

o

Well, they had cement poured and a sump pump and dehumidifier put in. DD says house smells less musty all ready. I'll send her this info.
Thanks for the responses.
Kathy G in MI

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here