Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doogan123_gw

Replace Basement windows

doogan123
13 years ago

Hi folks,

I Am about to start the task of insulating my basement walls. One item I need to address would be the windows. I need to replace them. A couple of the smaller ones i will probabally close up with glass block. I have 2 however which are egress size which i want to keep as windows. The question is how do i replace them. What is the best approach?

I am thinking that one approach is to just rip them out, and install new ones by attaching to the block wall. the question is what is the process - What do I need to do this and is this the right approach?

The second approach, which i think would be easier - but easier is not necessairly better, is to rip out the old, and frame in a new rough opening with 2X, and install them on the wood framing?.

My basement is a walk out, and both of these 2 windows I would be replacing are above grade on the outside. The finish is stucco on the outside, inside is finished block ( which i will be covering over with boards of XSP

what approach should i take? and is there a documented process for how I should do it?

thanks guys - appreciate the help as always

Comments (2)