Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baseballmom94_gw

Low-Cost Basement Refinishing for Teen Hangout?

baseballmom94
14 years ago

We have a bonus room on the main level which has a pool table and TV area. This bonus room is the teen hangout for my 15 year old son and 12 year old daughter, however, it doesn't have a lot of extra room to spread out -- when both of my kids have friends over, it would be nice to have another space. I would like to create a space in the basement for playing, crafts and for the existing ping pong table, however, I don't want to spend a lot of money. The ceilings are 8 feet or less in the basement (DH didn't want to spend money on higher ceilings since we did the bonus room instead). Anyway, we've painted the concrete floor with sand beige concrete paint so it looks good and is dust-free. The walls are cement block but are covered with insulation from the builder. I think that the insulation should stay on the walls, is this correct? We have kicked around some different ideas such as having the ceiling pipes spray painted white and then just framing the walls and installing painted beadboard and molding. Then just placing area rugs over the concrete floor. We're not sure which direction to head or if we should finish it nicely. Since the kids already have a nice space on the main level, we don't want to put $30-50,000 into a basement like our neighbors are doing. Any ideas for a cheap but cool basement finishing that will be fun for teens?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling