Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interior Drain System

Posted by bbach (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 9:55

In 2001, an interior drain system was installed in our basement before we bought the house. Recently I noticed damp carpet in two areas. I pulled up the carpet and found that the concrete used to seal the drain system had a crack in each of the areas where the carpet was damp. I opened up the drywall and the crack did not extend to up the wall so I am pretty sure this is the source of the water.

My question is, what is the best way to repair this? Skim over it? Some sort of epoxy injection? Bust out the concrete in that area and redo it?

Also, we do have a high water table in our area but I am still a bit concerned that water would seep up through this crack rather than runoff through the drain system. Is this an indication that it might be clogged? What would have to be done to clear any blockage?

Thanks for any advice. -- Bud

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interior Drain System

Check where the interior drainage system runs to. Typically it would be to a sump pump or to some exterior drainage. Then check that the pump and or drainage is flowing well.

Carpet directly on a concrete floor is often not a good idea. If there were a proper subfloor--Delta FL, Dri-Core or XPS and plywood--you wouldn't even notice this dampness.

o
RE: Interior Drain System

Worthy, there are two sumps and both seem to be working fine. Like I say, we seem to have a high water table so the pumps run a lot and we have battery backups to cover us when the power is out.

Sub floor might not be a bad idea, I'll look into it for sure. Still would like to figure this out though. Damp was probably an understatement, it was more like wet.

-- Bud

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here