Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Baseboard Type? / Quick XPS Question

andrelaplume2
14 years ago

Ok, I have some drywall up about 2" off the ground in the basement. Two Questions:

1) Is it better to use wooden baseboard or MDF. I assume in a flood either would need to come off...no?

2) I have an area (storage) by my bilko door. I figure if water gets in then it will come from there...unless the washer or water heater overflow / leak. I was thinking it might be prudent to us that vinyl type moisture resistent baseboard product I see at the big box stores. Its a bt pricey but if the area flooded, would this still need to be removed replaced?

Now, to be honest, in this storage area, I would just assume put nothing up since I am not even finishing the drywall anyway...but I assume that would be a code issue if an inspector ever saw it...thoughts about doing nothing..?

On the XPS topic....I figure I might as well cap off the top of the exposed XPS. I figure I can take 2" wide drywall scraps and cap it off. This would be done purely for safety / code (if even required in my area)...though I am unsure what it really gets me. Anyway, its essentiall free and easy to do at this point so why not.

Question....how do I adhere the drywall strips to the XPS...spray foam, silicon, grab it, liquid nails....?

Thanks!

Comments (4)