Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement and Porch Ventilation

Posted by tom_in_sc (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 9:47

We have a full basement, and I mean full. It sits under the whole house. This is new construction. The walls under the front porch are also poured concrete. There is an access from under the porch to the basement area. We plan to put a door there after the porch floor is complete. Here is the question: There is no ventilation in the porch walls. The contractor said that it was not necessary. Is this true? I think with little or no air flow under the porch, it will sweat in the summertime, the condensation causing a moisture problem. I am considering filling in the porch and pouring its floor as a slab instead of swinging it on steel. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement and Porch Ventilation

Tom,

I owned a house with the same situation. There was a room under the front porch which was a poured concrete slab. It too had a door to separate it from the main basement area and had no ventilation. When the house was built, the selling feature of this was that it was a "cold cellar"...good for keeping fruits, preserves and the like. Me personaly, I kept my beer and wine in there. Anyway, to answer your question, I had no problems with condensation or dampness.

o

Thanks!

How hot does it get where you are in the summer? That would probably be a factor.

o

Tom,

It didn't get hot there in the summer. I don't know if this is your first house with a basement but it will always be cool down there. Even with A/C in the house, on really hot humid days my basement is my refuge

o

Tom,

I din't read your question correctly as to how hot it gets where I am. I am in Ontario, Canada (Toronto Suburb) and it can get pretty hot and humid...well up into the 90's and my basement is always cool and dry.

o

The best and cheapest appliance to remove basement humidity and mold is the Breeze. It works on the same principle as other systems (Wave Ventilation, EZ Breathe, and Humidex), just costs more than a thousand dollars less: only $299. And, it carries a 5 year warranty. Why would anyone pay over $1,500 for the same thing or recreate the wheel by trying to make one yourself when you can buy a professionally made one at that price? I have it in my basement and it works like a dream using the same principle employed in the expensive units. It costs about $12 a year to run continuously. Check it out: BreezeSystemsInternational.com or at Amazon or Ebay.

o

The best and cheapest appliance to remove basement humidity and mold is the Breeze a dehumidifer.

All regards to vendors of the fan in a box, but the building scientists at Building Science Corp. recommend dehumidifiers. You pick the brand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here