Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whats that fireproof stuff..

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 9:42

well I started year 3 of my basement finsihing...hey its a seasonal job so one has to expect it to take time.

I decided to stick XPS in the rim area. I had done this in some areas and was going to leave others go but I got motivated. I had some extra 1/2" drywall so I then popped these into the area thus covering the xps.

I figure it only adds a few hours to the area I am working on, should make that area warmer, should be safer (with the drywall over the XPS I guess) and if it becomes necesary or I am told I needed my framing inspected when it comes time for the electrical insprection, I hope to be fully code compliant and safe.

So, though I used a silicon type caulk in the rim area then popped in the XPS then popped in some drywall; sometimes there are gaps around the drywall. I might as well caulk that too. I thought I heard worthy or someone mention some sort of code compliant fireproof caulk...whats this called or will the regular old silicon suffice and be compliant.

Oh yea, my buddy thinks I am nuts using XPS, trying to cap it off, trying to be code complaint or better. He thinks I'll never recoup my investment and then to really make me feel bad he said the 1/2" drywall I have been using is not code compliant...I needed 5/8"!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whats that fireproof stuff..

1/2" drywall is the minimum barrier. You can use a fireproof caulking.

my buddy thinks I am nuts using XPS, trying to cap it off, trying to be code complaint or better. He thinks I'll never recoup my investment

I see non-compliant things every day that could be deadly or costly in the wrong conditions. Just noticed a garage, for instance, where the walls adjoining the living space were sheathed in XPS. Just like I've done. But they "saved" money by not covering it in drywall. On other threads here, posters discuss the aesthetics of railings with little regard for safety. I've got a buddy who drove his mini-truck with no rear brakes for a year till he junked it. It still stopped pretty well and he figured he wouldn't recoup the cost of new brakes. So what the heck. What's the worst that can happen?

Here is a link that might be useful: thermal barriers for spray foam

o
RE: whats that fireproof stuff..

thanks!
I was over at the depot and saw three types of fireprrof caulk ranging from $6 a tube to $16. The most expensive was waterproof but I think thats overkill for this area..even for me. I hope the $6 tube will suffice. I was tempted to just used regular silicon...I'll get the fire stuff though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here