Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

whats that fireproof stuff..

andrelaplume2
13 years ago

well I started year 3 of my basement finsihing...hey its a seasonal job so one has to expect it to take time.

I decided to stick XPS in the rim area. I had done this in some areas and was going to leave others go but I got motivated. I had some extra 1/2" drywall so I then popped these into the area thus covering the xps.

I figure it only adds a few hours to the area I am working on, should make that area warmer, should be safer (with the drywall over the XPS I guess) and if it becomes necesary or I am told I needed my framing inspected when it comes time for the electrical insprection, I hope to be fully code compliant and safe.

So, though I used a silicon type caulk in the rim area then popped in the XPS then popped in some drywall; sometimes there are gaps around the drywall. I might as well caulk that too. I thought I heard worthy or someone mention some sort of code compliant fireproof caulk...whats this called or will the regular old silicon suffice and be compliant.

Oh yea, my buddy thinks I am nuts using XPS, trying to cap it off, trying to be code complaint or better. He thinks I'll never recoup my investment and then to really make me feel bad he said the 1/2" drywall I have been using is not code compliant...I needed 5/8"!

Comments (2)