Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold on basement studs

Posted by onwalnut (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 15, 06 at 9:41

During the building of my house with a full basement there were severals leaks. The A/C was turned on and the condenser pump was not hooked up so the water drained onto the floor of the basement. The builder took the porta-jon away and had the workers using a toilet in the house that turned out not to be hooked up correctly and it flushed into the basement. The Bilcos were not sealed correctly and they leak (a lot) into the basement when it rains. At first the builder would not acknowledge the leaks and insisted we were having ground water issues. I hired an engineer. The A/C and toilet problems were fixed, bilco remains a problem. Now, I think there is mold on the studs in the basement ceiling. What should be done? Who should do it? How do I find out if I'm right about the mold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold on basement studs

I'm seen mold like that in the basement and found that if it's wiped off with bleach water and a dehumidifier put in, that was the end of it. This is probably NOT the suggested method of solving the problem, that was only my situation though and I can't speak for others. You might want to post over on the building forum though because others might have had similar issues, especially with the contractor telling you the basement entry leaking is not his problem. I feel your pain when it comes to water in the basement though. It's enough to make you wild. Good luck.

o
RE: mold on basement studs

What about using something like Borocare or timbor ?
Apparently they are good for getting rid of fungii (mold) AND critters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here