Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing XPS to the walls ?

Posted by rsteventon (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 9:32

Hi All,

I was in a hardware store last night and noticed you could get fender washers and a nailgun using .22 calibre to drive the nails into concrete.

Has anyone tried this with fender washers to fix XPS to the wall ? In theory, it should be possible if the charge is exactly right compared to the concrete hardness and length and diameter of the nail.

My worry is that I will just blow the nail + fender washer right through the XPS and damage it so much that it won't stay attached to the wall.

The benefit of doing this is I don't need to drill a bunch of holes in super hard high pressure concrete.

Of course, I could do the same thing with the framing to the floor/etc.

This whole lot could even be cheaper than tapcon's.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing XPS to the walls ?

my brother, a builder uses a speciality product that is simialar to what you are talking about. I used it to fastnen the 2" foam to the exterior of my basement when I built.

worked fast

Here is a link that might be useful: hilti

o
RE: Fixing XPS to the walls ?

The .22 calibre gun you are talking about is generically called a ram-set. I use it to fasten framing to concrete(Look out for pipes and radiant heating). I don't know how well it would work for thinner foams. Also, if it's older concrete, it sets the fasteners to inconsistent depths. I'm not sure if it's variations in the density of the concrete, or large chunks of aggregate in the way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here