Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended Foundation Wall Height from Outside to the Ground

Posted by the-tech-guy (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 8:51

How much should the exterior foundation wall be exposed from the ground outside a home? I am in the process of grading my outside land so the water drains away from my basement but I noticed the ground is about a inch or two away from my siding. That makes it easy for bugs, water, etc. to get in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended Foundation Wall Height from Outside to the Ground

Wood siding manufacturers typically recommend at least a six-inch separation.

In high snow depth climates, up to two feet may be required.

The best time to think about this is before the foundation is installed, so it can be set high enough to give sufficient fall for water runoff.

Builders in my municipality were getting so careless with this elemental principle--setting houses lower than the surrounding soil, for instance--that grading plans independently drawn by specified professionals were required to be filed with each permit application.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here