Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
selling a house with a wooden basement

Posted by michigan_arlene (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 17, 06 at 8:42

My mother is trying to sell a house that has a wooden basement. The inspection came back that the membrane between the ground and the wood is punctured and the prospective buyer backed out. Reasonining there was a higher chance of insect infestation.
First, how do they know that the membrane is punctured? How do we repair it, can it be repaired, and is it expensive to repair? We are anxious to sell this house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: selling a house with a wooden basement

Arlene,

The only way an inspector could say that the membrane is punctured is if there was any visible evidence of dampness or water seepage in the basement. If there is and it is localised, you could have someone dig down the outside at this location and repair any damage to the waterproofing. If there is no indication of anything, ask the inspector to clarify why he thinks the waterproofing is damaged

o
RE: selling a house with a wooden basement

Thanks, I think we'll do that. There isn't any dampness or water, so I dont' know how he came up with that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here