Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement waterproofing quote-NJ

Posted by linbooks (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 6:59

Hi, just found this site. Lots of generous information, thanks! Hope someone can give me some help. I just signed a contract to put in a basement perimeter system and do mold containment (Anabec X-70) with a company in mid-New jersey called Healthy Home Basement Waterproofing and have three days to decide if I am going to cancel. I am very nervous about the cost: $12,000 for the waterproofing and mold remediation. I already have an open french drain around the perimeter that was done 20 years ago and have very little water coming in unless its heavy rain--and then the water drains from the block to the drain to a sump pump. But its still damp and moldy. They suggested opening the entire perimeter 12-16" from the wall, lay in the perforated drain pipe (4" ADS) to a new sump pump with battery backup, a drain board across the footings, vapor barrier in the trench--98 linear feet, put in gravel and close up to the wall with cement. Also includes the humidex system. The warranty is for the rest of our time in the house + transferrable to the next owner. The salesman said that the lime on the walls will dry and brush off but that the stains will still be there but that the block will be totally dry. Is this really possible and is this ridiculously expensive and I am being taken advantage of? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement waterproofing quote-NJ

Have I got this straight? After excavating around the entire perimeter of your basement, all they're going to do to the wall is reparge it (cement) then cover it with a vapour barrier (6 mil plastic). (I assume that's where they intend to put the plastic.)

If you want to keep water out of your basement, this is inadequate. Ideally, if the exterior wall is cleanable, it should be covered in a liquid waterproofing membrane, not a layer of cutback asphalt. The cove to wall joint--a common source of leakage--should be packed with a waterproofing material from one of the crystalline waterproofing manufacturers--then the wall should be wrapped in a waterproof foundation membrane, such as Delta brand (there are a number of other manufacturers). The new perimeter drain covered in free-running gravel is fine.

Treating your interior wall with a mould containment material does nothing to keep water out of the basement. BTW, you should have a dehumidifier running to keep humidity below 50rh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta Membrane

o

Don't know about the estimates for the digging/pipe laying, but I can tell you that the cost to fix a 4x4 patch of moldy ceiling was $3,000. That included taking down and reinstalling cabinets and under cabinet lighting, plus through scrubbing of the area & air, and finally repairing the ceiling...

o

My Mom just signed with them. How were they. I'm not trusting many contractors this year.

o

Linda

How was your experience with Healthy Home Basements? Did they solve your problem?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here