Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help please - Tropical Storm Fay downspout, water & carpet issues

Posted by lynne_melb (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 4:52

Hi everyone

We are fine but we have been having lots of rain from Tropical storm Fay. We are Melbourne FL on the east central coast. If you heard of Melbourne or southern Brevard county, then that's where we are. It's been raining for 4 days. We are fine but there's some ground water seepage into the edges of 3 carpeted rooms. It's wall to wall carpeting. Its not sewage, just rain water that saturated the ground so much, that some of the water seeped into the carpet. We have fans & dehumdifier running. Also a/c set to lower temp to reduce humidity.

Now actually this is not a basement, but I think that we may get a lot of good answers from this site. We had basement, sump pump, backup sump up in previous home in Chicago. We had concrete floor so didn't have to worry about carpet issue in basement (FYI, DH is still in mourning over loss of basement storage in Florida homes.) The water table and soil structure make residential basements impractical.

If anyone has advice on cleaning the carpet I'd appreciate it. I also searched this forum and saw a thread where some recommended that downspouts empty water at least 8 feet into ones yard. I have a question on how this could be accomplished. The homes here only have 15-20 feet between them. People would trip over downspouts that long. Also, we are retired and not so able bodied. There is a lawn service with huge mowers that couldn't handle the downspouts.
This truly is a once in 50 year or longer occurence. The house is 10 years old and this has never happened before, from what I know.
Can anyone recommend anything else we should do to dry or clean carpet?
Up north, we used to have the hose like attachments to our downspouts that theoretically would unfurl when there was rain. I can't recall how they didn't work but there were some problems. Have these things improved over the years? Any specific products to recommend?
Thanks much
Lynne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help please - Tropical Storm Fay downspout, water & carpet is

Here's what I do--run standard plastic flexible weeping tile a foot up the downspout, then run the tile a few inches underground resting on a 2" bed of free-draining gravel 20-50 feet into the yard, terminating in a "popup". This waters the grass, prevents ponding on my or my neighbours'
yards and complies with local Code requiring that stormwater drainoff stays on the property.

Photobucket
Connecting downspout to weeping tile prevents water pooling near the home.

Photobucket

Weeping tile connected to NDS "popup" at end.

o
RE: Help please - Cont'd

Use a powerful wet vac on the carpet. I hope it's not too late!

Try new link for pop-ups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pop-up emitters

o
RE: Help please - Tropical Storm Fay downspout, water & carpet is

When I was working as a carpet layer, one of the other layers started out "cleaning" carpets after floods. They would actually remove the carpet and take it to their shop where they had some kind of giant industrial carpet washing machine. Then they would bring it back and install it again. I don't know if anyone still does this or not. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here