Return to the Basements Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulation

Posted by tvaughn (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 1:20

Hello, I've looked over past discussions of insulating a basement and want to see if I have my plan correct.
I have a nice dry basement and will be finishing a portion of it. My plan is to glue 1/2" or 3/4" expanded polystyrene foam insulation to the block wall, construct a 2x4 wall over it, then installing R-13 unfaced fiberglass bats inside the studs and drywall with no vapor barrier. On the interior wall (The one that will seperate the living area and the unheated garage area) I will use regular R-13 faced fiberglass bats with the paper facing the living area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulation

If this is all in the basement, stick with the same method all around. Better to go to at least 1" extruded e.g., Styrofoam. Remember, on the wall to garage, the space at the top of the wall is above grade. Also place the bottom plate on an inch of extruded too. This acts as a thermal break while also providing protection from any minor floods or leakage that might occur.

o
RE: Insulation

I live in the Northeast and I am finishing my basement. I plan on using spray foam insulation and having it sprayed directly on the poured concrete walls.

I am very confused by the competing claims of open vs. closed cell contractors.

My basement has been dry for the 5 years since the house was built, but I am wondering about moisture from the concrete and/or penetration from the surrounding soil. (The foundation has been sealed on the exterior but not insulated.)

Is it better to go with the closed cell that will act as a water vapor barrier or use open cell that will allow the moisture to dry to the interior of the basement?

I am getting conflicting views on this, please help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Basements Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here